Some garages have a door meant for people to use rather than vehicles. This door is typically referred to as a man door since people use it instead of cars. Man doors are generally smaller than the garage doors that vehicles use and are often located on the side or back of the garage. A man door can be very convenient since it allows people to enter and exit the garage without opening the large garage door.
Man doors are essential to many commercial and industrial applications, including factories, warehouses, breweries, and more. Commercial garage doors with man doors will provide employees with easy access to the building without using the large main doors.
The advantages of a man door in a residential setting are the same: they aid in energy conservation and provide a safer passageway than a garage door. Also, they may provide a level of curb appeal that makes a house stand out from the others on the street!
There are both benefits and drawbacks to having a man door. Now that you know what it is and how it can be used in residential and commercial settings, you can weigh the pros and cons to decide if it is right for you.
- If your garage is attached to your house, installing a regular access door may not be possible. A man door would be more practical, especially if your home has a double garage door.
- It is essential to install a man door in an urban environment where there may not be enough side space due to the density of buildings. By keeping your garage contents hidden, even if the door is only 8 or 9 feet wide (2.4 or 2.7 meters), you can help create a safer and more welcoming space for everyone.
- If the power goes out, you can still get to your stuff by using the man door as a backup entrance. In addition, the garage man door will ensure you are not left without any of your belongings in an emergency.
- You need to be extra careful with your garage door if it is equipped with an electric opener. If the man door is left open, the device could turn on and cause severe damage. Always make sure to close the door properly to avoid any accidents.
- One of the most significant disadvantages to having a man door is the cost. Not only do you have to purchase the door, but you also have to invest in an intelligent safety system to go along with it. You absolutely cannot bypass that safety system to save money because doing so could cause severe damage to your garage door. Installing a man door to a single-door garage might occasionally cost as much as purchasing a whole garage door system without the walk-through access.
- The installation of man doors on garage doors is restricted to door widths no less than 8 feet (2.4 m). This minimum width requirement is necessary to ensure the safety and functionality of the door.
When it comes to your residential garage door or commercial overhead door, you have a few options: repair or replace. But before you make a decision, reach out to our team at Palms Garage Doors. We are a local company with over a decade of experience serving the Greater Bay Area from San Francisco to San Jose and up to Oakland. We are known for our excellent customer service and quality workmanship—two things that make us stand out as one of the best providers of garage door services in the area.
Looking for a new garage door or need repairs on your current one? Our team of experts can help. We offer installation, repair, and maintenance services for homes and businesses. Plus, we can help you decide whether it is better to repair or replace your existing door. Contact us today for free estimates.